Welcome to the Waste & Recycling Department
The Town of Canandaigua has been operating the transfer station facility since 1988. Residents of the Town can dispose of household garbage, recyclables, and food/organic waste at no charge. The transfer station facility will also accept residential construction and demolition debris, some oversized items, and electronics for an additional cost. We DO NOT accept any form of commercial waste.
Permits and Coupons:
Transfer and recycling is available with permit only for Town of Canandaigua residents. Permits are available at no charge from the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall with proof of residency. Vehicle registration is required for any vehicle using the facility. The new permit is in effect through December 31, 2019. Coupons are used to dispose of items that require additional cost. Coupons are $2 each and can be purchased at the Transfer Station Facility or from the Town Clerk during the hours of 8:00am - 4:00pm weekdays with extended hours on Wednesday until 7:00pm. Click here to view current coupon exchange guidelines.
Zero-Sort Recycling, clean and empty: (Printable Flyer)
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Box board (cereal boxes, egg cartons, rolls, etc.)
- Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, store flyers
- Office paper (white and colored)
- Envelopes (manilla and white), file folders
- Empty food & cans, aluminum foil
- Glass bottles and jars (all colors)
- Plasic Bottles, Jugs, Tubs, & Lids (Plastic No. 1-7, excluding styrofoam)
The transfer station also accepts these items for recycling, in their separate designated collection area:
*click on the blue links below for more information about what is accepted
- Food and Organic Waste
- Gently used clothes
- Used motor oil
- Leaves, brush, Christmas trees, & yard debris
- Batteries: Car, truck, boat, motorcycle & lawn tractor batteries
- Batteries: Single Use (AA, AAA, D, C) no lithium ion or rechargeable batteries
- Copper & Scrap Metal
- Plastic Bags
The transfer station accepts:
- Household garbage in CLEAR or WHITE trash bags or emptied from open containers, kitchen trash compactor bags ARE acceptable.
- Construction and demolition debris (can be disposed of at a $2.00 per coupon charge based on current fee schedule)
- Window glass, picture frame glass, perfume bottles, drinking glasses, opaque glass, or ceramics
The Transfer Station does NOT accept :
- Hazardous waste (propane tanks, paint, fuel, aerosol cans, etc.)
- Commercial waste
If there are any items not listed here, please talk to one of the attendants or contact us at (585) 394-3300. If you have excessive amounts of demolition and construction materials to remove, please refer to your local yellow page listings for sources for renting roll-offs. All services are provided to Town of Canandaigua residents only.
Not a resident of the Town of Canandaigua, or unsure what to do with an item?
Visit: http://ontariocountyrecycles.org/ for more information.
Check out this video from Casella for more information about Zero-Sort Recycling:
TRANSFER FACILITY HOURS
Wednesday - 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
Sunday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
5440 Route 5 & 20 West
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Contact us at (585) 394-3300.
Please note: Town residents may drop off yard waste during transfer facility hours only. You must have your residency sticker on your vehicle for these services
City of Canandaigua Residents
Every 2nd and 4th Saturday from 1-4pm for disposal of construction debris & electronics only.
Bring your City issued punch card along with your transfer station coupons.