History of the Town of Canandaigua
Historical Context Report of the Town of Canandaigua, prepared for the Town in 2019 by BERO Architecture
Canandaigua officially became a town in 1791. The first town meeting was held in April of that year and presided over by the first supervisor, Israel Chapin. Initially, there was no distinction made between the village and the town of Canandaigua. Then in 1815 the village was officially established and in 1913 it became a city, thus creating two separate entities, the City and the Town of Canandaigua. The original Town of Canandaigua also included Cheshire Centerfield, and Academy, which still remain within its borders. Cheshire, Academy, and a long gone hamlet by the name of Padelford Station had post offices, and as such were called "Postal Villages" even though they were not incorporated villages. Padelford Station was on County Road 8 near the Farmington Town Line where the Auburn Line (NYCRR) and the Electric Trolley (R&ERR) crossed County Rd. 8 (Padelford Rd.) It was an important stop for supplying wood for the steam engines and had a passenger station.