Local History Project Team
Citizens' Implementation Committee Project Team
The History Team meets monthly on the first Tuesday of the month at 10:30am in the Onnalinda Conference Room (Courtroom) at the Town Hall and via Zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 880 1835 8554
Purpose / Mission Statement
The Local History Project Team is a sub-group of the Citizens' Implementation Committee (CIC) and was created in early 2018 by the CIC as a result of the Town Board's approval of the list of Comprehensive Plan implementation priorities. The purpose or mission of the team is to discover how best to protect the Town's historic and cultural assets and help share the Town's history with the public.
The Comprehensive Plan of the Town of Canandaigua lists 20 goals in total. Two of them focus on historic and cultural resources and this team was instructed to address those:
Goal 5 - to preserve local history and encourage the protection of historic sites
Goal 6 - to encourage public awareness of Canandaigua’s rich local history
Follow the links and information below to read more about what the Team has accomplished so far and to learn more about the Town's rich history. More information can also be found on the Town Historian's page.
- Squaw Island Pictoral History
- Hunn Cemetery Re-Dedication Ceremony
- Canandaigua Middle School Social Studies Student Project Interview Videos
- West Lake Legacy Video Clips
- Preserve NY Grant Program
- Phase 1 - Reconnaisance-Level Survey-Historic Context Statement
- Phase 2 - FINAL DRAFT Town of Canandaigua Reconnaissance-Level Survey Part II: Historic Resource Inventory Forms (a hard copy is available for review in the Town Hall upon request)
- Historic Town Maps
- Steamboats in Town Hall
- Geocaching (Coming Soon)
*For full newsletter issues, click here