Fee Schedule | Informational Brochure | Food Waste Diversion | Backyard Composting | Plastic Bag & Plastic Film Recycling| Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rethink Resolutions | Special Collection Events | Annual Reports | Waste Disposal Assesement
Welcome to the Waste & Recycling Department
The Town of Canandaigua has been operating the transfer station facility since 1988. Residents of the Town can dispose of household garbage, recyclables, and food/organic waste at no charge. The transfer station facility will also accept residential construction and demolition debris, some oversized items, and electronics for an additional cost. We DO NOT accept any form of commercial waste. Click here for an overview of everything accepted at the Transfer Station.
Permits and Coupons:
City of Canandaigua residents, see information and updates here.
Zero-Sort Recycling, clean and empty: (Printable Flyer)
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Box board (cereal boxes, egg cartons, rolls, etc.)
- Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, store flyers
- Office paper (white and colored)
- Envelopes (manilla and white), file folders
- Empty food & cans, aluminum foil
- Glass bottles and jars (all colors)
- Plasic Bottles, Jugs, Tubs, & Lids (Plastic No. 1-7, excluding styrofoam)
Can't find what you are looking for? Check out the Recycle Right NY Recyclopedia for a searchable database.
The transfer station also accepts these items for recycling, in their separate designated collection area:
*click on the blue links below for more information about what is accepted
- Food and Organic Waste
- Gently used clothes
- Used motor oil
- Leaves, brush, Christmas trees, & yard debris
- Batteries: Car, truck, boat, motorcycle & lawn tractor batteries
- Batteries: Single Use (AA, AAA, D, C) no lithium ion or rechargeable batteries
- Copper & Scrap Metal
- Plastic Bags
The Transfer Station accepts:
- Household garbage in CLEAR or WHITE trash bags or emptied from open containers, kitchen trash compactor bags ARE acceptable.
- Construction and demolition debris (can be disposed of at a $2.00 per coupon charge based on current fee schedule)
- Window glass, picture frame glass, perfume bottles, drinking glasses, opaque glass, or ceramics (dispose of with household waste).
The Transfer Station does NOT accept :
- Hazardous waste (propane tanks, paint, fuel, aerosol cans, etc.)
- See https://ontariocountyrecycles.org/150/Events for special collection events for these items for Ontario County residents.
- Commercial waste
If there are any items not listed here, please talk to one of the attendants or contact us at (585) 394-3300. If you have excessive amounts of demolition and construction materials to remove, please refer to your local yellow page listings for sources for renting roll-offs. All services are provided to Town of Canandaigua residents only.
Not a resident of the Town of Canandaigua, or unsure what to do with an item?
Visit: http://ontariocountyrecycles.org/ for more information.
Check out this video from Casella for more information about Zero-Sort Recycling:
TRANSFER FACILITY HOURS
Wednesday - 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
Sunday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
5440 Route 5 & 20 West
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Contact us at (585) 394-3300
Please note: Town residents may drop off yard waste during transfer facility hours only. You must have your residency sticker on your vehicle for these services
City of Canandaigua Residents
Click here for more information.