Protection of Canandaigua Lake
Resources and Information for Protecting the Waters of our Lake
It's All About that Lake!
Canandaigua Lake is considered to be one of the most important assets for our region. There are so many ways that we benefit from living near such a valuable resource:
- It provides drinking water for over 70,000 residents.
- It is a vital regional tourism driver that generates millions of dollars annually for our communities.
- The Lake is a major recreational destination for boaters, swimmers and fisherman
- It provides a major tax base for our local schools and communities with over a billion dollars of assessed shoreline property value
- Having a beautiful Lake provides incredible scenic beauty and ecological significance to the region.
How can I help?
The best way that you, as a resident, can help protect Canandaigua Lake is to become educated about the things that threaten its water quality. There are many ways to help and the more you know, the more you can put that knowledge to good use and share it with others. One good place to start is right in your own back yard. Here is a guide to help homeowners keep their lawns healthy without harming the lake. You can also visit the websites at the right (or below if on a mobile device) to learn about conditions and issues that affect the lake and what is being done about it; and also what you can do to help.
Where can I get more information?
The links at the right (or below if on a mobile device) will take you to external websites that have a wealth of information on water quality and what individuals and organizations can do to help protect the waters of the lake and its tributaries. You can also learn more about the Lake in general right here on our website: Canandaigua Lake Facts