4965 County Road 16, Canandaigua, NY 14424
Located in the souther portion of the Town along County Road 16, Onanda Park is the Town of Canandaigua's largest park. The park is split into a lakeside portion (7 acres) and an upland portion. This park has been outfitted with 15 cabins, 5 pavilions and 3 lodges. The uplands, home to 7 of the 15 cabins, consists of seventy-three acres of hillside including a two mile hiking path through pristine wilderness, pavilions with beautiful views of the lake, and is home to winter activities, like sledding and snow shoeing to those brave enough. The uplands provide some overflow parking for guests on the lakeside portion.
Onanda was originally started as a YWCA Camp just before the turn of the century. It was purchased in 1989 through cooperative effort between New York State and the Town of Canandaigua, and was officially opened in 1990 to the public. Fishing, swimming, family picnics, and gatherings are always popular at this year-round recreation area. Read the full history of Camp Onanda, written by retired Town Historian, Ray Henry, here.
Swimming is only permitted when a lifeguard is on duty.
Onanda Park FAQs:
- Shore fishing at Onanda is allowed year round.
- Car-top canoes and kayaks are allowed to launch from Onanda Park on a regular basis and are subject to rules posted at the lake. (TRAILERED BOATS ARE NOT ALLOWED)
- Boat launching is only permitted November 15 to April 15, and is subject to availability.
- No alcohol is permitted in any Town Park
- No pets (other than service animals) allowed on the lake side (dogs are permitted upland if on a leash or restrained)
- No roller-blading, skateboarding, or biking on the lake side
- Lakeside cabins are available for rent from April 1- October 31
- Cabins are only rented on a weekly basis until May 1. After May 1, cabins may be rented for a 2 night minimum or weekly rental.
- There is a $50 non-refundable cancellation fee to cancel a reservation. The $50 fee applies to each cabin if reserving multiple cabins. Cancellations must be made 2 weeks in advance of rental in order to receive a refund (minus the $50 fee).
- You will need to bring your own linens, kitchen supplies etc.
- Each cabin is equiped with a mini fridge, microwave & charcoal grill.
- Check-in is at 3pm. Check-out is at 10am. Please be prompt when checking out. The staff will need to clean the cabins before the next arrival at 3pm.
- The Park does not offer firewood or ice for purchase.
To make a reservation click HERE: