The Town of Canandaigua Highway Department is responsible for the snow and ice control of over 260 miles of county and town roads. Below are some tips and reminders to remember when the snow arrives.
- There is NO parking on town roads from November 1 through April 1 unless otherwise posted.
- Keep a safe distance away when following plow or salt trucks, they will need to turn around or back-up often. If you cannot see their side mirrors, they cannot see you.
- DO NOT plow snow into the road or across it. Snow should be kept on your property in an area that does not obstruct your view or that of drivers on the roadway. If you hire someone to plow for you, please be sure they are following these rules.
- DO NOT let children play in snowdrifts or banks near the road. It is extremely difficult for plow operators to see them.
- Keep your house numbers clear and visible in case of an emergency.
- If you have a hydrant near you, consider shoveling out around it. This could save the fire department precious time in an emergency.
If any resident should have an emergency health situation during a snow event and needs to have the road cleared, call us at (585) 394-3300.
Please see our FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, comments, or suggestions feel free to contact our office at (585) 394-3300.