Highway FAQs

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


There is a dead deer on the side of the road, what should I do?

If the deer is located on a town road, call us at (585) 394-3300 to report the nearest house address. If the location is a county road or you will need to contact Ontario County at (585) 396-4000. If the location is a state maintained road, call NYSDOT at (315) 332-4000.


Is there a “No Parking” rule for the winter months?

Yes, there is NO parking on all roadways in the town of Canandaigua from November 1 to April 1 unless otherwise posted.


Am I allowed to shovel/plow snow into the road?

Absolutely not. The Highway Department spends thousands of dollars annually on snow removal to keep the roadway clear and safe. Shoveling/plowing snow into the roadway presents a hazard and is, in fact, illegal (Highway Law 214). Appropriate action will be taken by the town to all known offenders.


A snow plow hit my mailbox, who is responsible for fixing it?

It is the Town Highway Departments’ policy to repair or replace mailboxes on town roadways that are damaged during snow plowing operations. Since there is no statutory or legal authority which grants a property owner or resident the right to place a mailbox in the right-of-way, replacement of mailboxes is done as a courtesy and only the standard replacement can be provided. If the existing mailbox cannot be repaired, it will be replaced with a standard rural mailbox and 4” x 4” wood post. To report a mailbox that has been damaged, please call (585) 394-3300.


Does the Highway Department repair damage to my lawn from snow plowing operations?

Yes, when screened topsoil becomes available, the Highway Department will come around to repair and seed areas that were damaged by our snow removal activities. This is generally done in the late spring.


Does the Highway Department collect brush or leaves from the roadside?

No, the Town of Canandaigua does not offer curbside pickup of brush or leaves. Residents can drop off brush, leaves, grass clippings and Christmas trees at the Transfer Station during regular facility hours at no cost. DO NOT RAKE LEAVES INTO GUTTERS OR TO ROADSIDE.


Can I get mulch from the Town?

Yes, mulch is available to Town residents and can be picked up from the Transfer Station during regular facility hours. Mulch may not be picked up using motorized equipment.


I want to re-do my landscaping, are there restrictions close to the road?

Yes, you must obtain permission from the Highway Department to work within the town’s right-of-way. This includes work such as driveways, fences, planting trees, placing berms, rocks or flowers, or any construction within the right-of-way. Click here for highway permit information. If you have any additional questions, call us at (585) 394-3300.


Why are there colored flags, stakes, or paint marks on my lawn or sidewalk?

These show the location of utilities in that area. All utility companies are required by law to mark their facilities any time a contractor will be excavating near them. This is commonly called a stakeout. When these markers appear, it means excavation work has been scheduled (or just completed). Standard colors are used to indicate the location of different utilities: blue = water, red = electric, yellow = gas, orange = TV and cable, green = sewer.


I need to excavate on my property, what should I do first?

First you should contact the Town of Canandaigua at (585) 394-1120 to find out if you need to obtain a permit for the work you plan to perform. Then you or your contractor needs to call Dig Safe NY at 811 or 1-800-962-7962 at least 10 days before you plan to dig. They will notify all utilities to stakeout their services on and around your property.


When is my road going to be paved?

Upcoming road projects are posted on the Highway Department website. For further questions, please call (585) 394-3300.


How do I report a street light that does not work properly or is completely out?

There are several options to choose from. You can call us at (585) 394-3300 with the location of the streetlight and nearest address. You can go online to rge.com and click on Outage Central then Streetlight Outage and complete the Streetlight Outage Form, or you can call RG&E at 1-800-743-2110 and report the problem to a Customer Service Representative.


Be Informed! Click here to receive town news, information, and updates via email.