Post-Construction Runoff Control
Minimum Control Measure #5
“Develop, implement and enforce a plan that addresses storm water runoff from new development and redevelopment projects and incorporates enforceable mechanisms. Applicable controls could include preventative actions (e.g., protecting sensitive areas) or the use of structural controls (e.g., grassed swales or porous pavement).”
As an operator of a regulated small MS4, the Town is required to develop, implement, and enforce a program to reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff to their MS4. The Town has implemented and is constantly updating the following:
- Provide equivalent protection to the NYS SPDES General Permit for Stormwater Dischargers from Construction Activities
- Address post-construction runoff to the MS4 from new development and redevelopment projects that result in land disturbance activities of greater than or equal to one acre or part of a larger common plan of development.
- Have an ordinance or other regulatory mechanism requiring the implementation of post construction runoff controls to the extent allowable under State, or Local law and meets the State’s most current technical standards.
- Develop and implement strategies which include a combination of structural and/or nonstructural best management practices.
- Have procedures for site plan review of SWPPPs that consider potential water quality impacts and consistency with State and local sediment and erosion control requirements.
- Utilize trained individuals to perform the review of all sites of one acre or greater, and complete the MS4 Acceptance Form when required.
- Ensure adequate long term operation and maintenance of post-construction stormwater management practices within the covered entities jurisdiction. Inventory to include location of practice, type of practice, maintenance needed per practice, SWPPP, dates and type of maintenance performed.
- Inspect development and re-development sites, enforce local ordinances, and penalize violators.
- Review measureable goals, and annually assess and modify as needed.
- Determine the appropriate best management practices and measurable goals for this minimum control measure
The following are links which partially detail how the Town is addressing these requirements: